• September 3, 2021, Rosary Today 7:30 pm ET, YouTube.com/TheRosaryNetwork
• Audio Podcast available by 6:00 pm ET
Friends of the Rosary:
The month of September is traditionally dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows and the Seven Sorrows of the Virgin Mary, a devotion that dates back to the 12th century. In Spain, Mexico, and all across Latin America, the faithful venerate “Nuestra Señora de los Dolores”, Sorrowful Mother, in English.
Specifically, the Memorial Day of “Our Lady of Sorrows” will be celebrated on September 15th, a week later than her birthday, on September 8th.
The title “Our Lady of Sorrows” focuses on Mary’s intense suffering during the passion and death of Jesus Christ.
In her suffering as co-redemptrix, the Holy Mary reminds us of the evil of sin and shows us the way of repentance.
The Seven Dolors, or Sorrows, refer to the seven swords that pierced the Heart of Mary:
- The prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:25-35)
- The flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-15)
- Loss of the Child Jesus for three days (Luke 2:41-50)
- Mary meets Jesus on his way to Calvary (Luke 23:27-31; John 19:17)
- Crucifixion and Death of Jesus (John 19:25-30)
- The body of Jesus being taken from the Cross (Psalm 130; Luke 23:50-54; John 19:31-37)
- The burial of Jesus (Isaiah 53:8; Luke 23:50-56; John 19:38-42; Mark 15:40-47)
Jesus, I Trust In You!
+ Mikel A. | TheRosaryNetwork.org, New York
The Seven Sorrows of the Virgin (1496) by Albrecht Durer — Alte Pinakothek, Munchen and Gemäldegalerie, Dresden