Friends of the Rosary:
Today is the Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows, also known as Our Lady of Seven Dolors, Our Lady of Dolors, or Nuestra Señora de los Dolores, in Spanish.
This feast, which dates back to the 12th century, is dedicated to the spiritual martyrdom of Mary, Mother of God. It focuses on Mary’s intense suffering during the passion and death of Christ.
In her suffering as co-redemtrix, Mary reminds us of the tremendous evil of sin and shows us the way to true repentance.
The Devotion to the Seven Sorrows refers to the seven swords that pierced the Heart of Mary, as she stood at the foot of the Cross on which Jesus hung.
This Memorial Day is after the feast of the Holy Cross to show the close connection between Jesus’ Passion and Mary’s Sorrows.
These are the seven sorrows of Mary:
- The prophecy of Simeon, (Luke 2:25-35)
- The flight into Egypt, (Matthew 2:13-15)
- Loss of the Child Jesus for three days, (Luke 2:41-50)
- Mary meets Jesus on his way to Calvary, (Luke 23:27-31; John 19:17)
- Crucifixion and Death of Jesus, (John 19:25-30)
- The body of Jesus being taken from the Cross (deposition from the Cross), (Psalm 130; Luke 23:50-54; John 19:31-37)
- The burial of Jesus, (Isaiah 53:8; Luke 23:50-56; John 19:38-42; Mark 15:40-47)
Jesus, I Trust In You!
Our Lady of Sorrows, Pray for Us!
To Jesus through Mary!
+ Mikel A. | RosaryNetwork.com, New York